Sunday, February 27, 2005

Zaccheus and Me

On Sunday we read the story of Zaccheus the Tax-collector with Deb S. leading the time - always good value there! I found myself thinking about this story more than I have for a long time, particularly in the context of what comes before and after. I never really think about what comes before and after Gospel stories - and yet I should. The stories were placed there for a reason, as were the bits around them. Also, we looked at what comes before and after for the people involved: when Jesus and disciples leave, what happens then? How do they live out what they have promised?

Zaccheus, in particular, promised to give half his possessions to the poor, and to pay back people he had cheated. I wonder if he did? I would like to think so, but it must have been hard! Did people thank him for it, or spit on him more? Did he quit his job? Or get fired? Or was he killed as a rebel against Roman rule? Could he reform the system from within? What about the other tax collectors under him? Did the Jewish community ever accept him back as one of them? A lot of forgiveness would have been required for that!

This was a great exercise, and I shall have to read stories "in context" in future, both of the Bible and of life.

No comments: