Monday, February 07, 2005

Revelation, yet questions...

John 16:17 Some of his disciples said to one another, "What is this that he says to us, 'A little while, and you will not see me, and again a little while, and you will see me'; and, 'because I go to the Father'?"
We were reading this chapter on Sunday, and James wrote a haiku on this (which I can't remember completely) but the idea which really struck me, was about doubt and clarity. Of course I doubt, of course I have questions - even the disciples had lots of questions and they had Jesus walking and talking right in front of them! If they didn't understand with Jesus (God Himself) right there - well, in that case it's probably OK if I don't feel that I have a complete understanding of how God is working either!

This was a relief from the pressure I sometimes put on myself to have it all sorted out, to struggle and come to grips with everything, to feel I have a least a study plan for every question! This is hubris, and I need to get rid of it! I need to embrace the mystery and majesty of God, and rest in the sovereignty of God's will. I love the short email someone sent me:
It's amazing what God can do if we give him the reigns!
When God reigns, He pours! I just need to let Him do it and to restrain myself from trying to fit his heavens into my head - that will only limit my perception of Him, and give me a headache. As we enter into Lent and the waiting time before Easter, I want to let go of my need to understand, and embrace waiting on God and letting Him be the mover and teacher. Here's a version of that Haiku (with apologies to James Carbines):
Jesus revealed
Talking with God, face to face
Yet questions abound
That's OK. The disciples just kept asking questions, and Jesus kept answering them, usually not in the ways they expected. I hope to follow in their footsteps; to keep going, keep asking and keep listening for the answers I don't expect!

No comments: