Thursday, February 24, 2005

Joy vs Happiness

Joy is more than happiness.

How true! This is my essential problem with the philosophy of utilitarianism. If happiness is the ultimate good, and suffering the ultimate evil, then the good which comes through suffering and the joy which results from self-denial can never be known. If people must be preserved from suffering at all costs, does that mean even if the cost is that of spiritual growth or self-knowledge? I can only say that God is clearly not a utilitarian! Suffering and growth, suffering and joy, pain and love are too closely linked in the making of our world.

God's peace and God's joy are strange entities. They seem to exist in defiance of the circumstances, regardless of the events around and can stay or go for reasons completely unrelated to situations. Now that I have learned not to let my grief for the salvation of those dear to me overwhelm me, I can have joy even in the strangest situations - I actually found myself thanking God for opportunities to forgive! Truly, God's peace is beyond human understanding.

No comments: