Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Jesus Who?

"Jesus who?" is a pivotal question for every believer in Christ. We should first of all ask it of ourselves, testing our own beliefs about Jesus. Misunderstandings about Him inevitably become obstructions in our relationship with Him.
This came from an article I was emailed today. I didn't agree with the whole article, but I thought this was an excellent point. Most (some?) of my struggles with God come from misunderstanding His character. Questions about His justice lead to struggles with trust. Mistaken ideas about His glory lead me to think that God was vain and self-seeking, needing praise from His creatures for His own self-worth (why not? I do!).

I wonder how many non-Christians struggle with misunderstandings about God and the church which keep them from seeking God? I wonder how many Christians suffer needlessly, afraid to ask their questions which would lead to clarity and a better understanding of God? Some of the best advice I ever recall was "Take your questions to God - He can handle it!"

No comments: