Friday, February 11, 2005

Respecting the miracles of others

In "The Horse and His Boy" Aslan is the one behind all the stories, but it takes a long time for the people to realize it. Sometimes I wonder if I am more like the Giant than like Jill (Silver Chair) seeing coincidence instead of the Hand of God - as if the two were mutually exclusive! - and scoffing at other people's ideas of God's sovereignity.

Barb and I were talking recently about respecting other people's miracles, even when they don't necessarily seem like unequivocal miracles to us. I was reminded yet again how God is different to each person. This really shouldn't surprise me, since everyone is made differently it requires God to be different to each of us in order to meet us where we are. Our society has always taught me that "justice means equality", and yet I see that this is not always right. We also talk about a "case by case basis" which means dispensing justice differently depending on the situation. If we see the need for this, how much more must God!

I think the truth of it must be that God has a respect for individuals - greater than we do, generally, with our propensities to stereotype and fit people into "the system". God works in mysterious and varied ways, His wonders to perform. Today's reading is from Isaiah (58:8) and talks about how God is not a legalist - He wants us to do His will, more than to perform according to the Law. True fasting, in this context, is not about eating and drinking at all (whew! let off the hook there!) but about bringing justice and mercy and peace. So, this Lent I am not fasting from food (I have enough issues there already) but from sleep - the time I would otherwise be sleeping I am spending in the Word, meditation and prayer - and writing it all in here!

No comments: