Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Ash Wednesday and forgiveness

Today's reading for Ash Wednesday was Psalm 51: I acknowledge my transgressions and my sin is ever before me. I think a big part of understanding grace is understanding both the power of sin and the power of God. Sin is important, powerful and addictive. These things are true, but the power of God to forgive is even greater:

All the evil that man can work or think is to the mercy of God as one live coal in the sea.

I want to respond to sin as Peter did - to turn back to God with tears of repentance, and to continue in faith to encourage others and to build up the church. I am afraid that I sometimes respond more as Judas did: in pride and despair that my sins are too awful, to great for even God to forgive. I don't want to be that impressed with the power of sin! God can redeem even we who reject and betray him to his face, when we turn back and ask for forgiveness. If God forgives, we are forgiven. If God cleanses, we are clean. End of story. No need for ongoing guilt, self-punishment, penance, etc. No need for listening to our Accuser or doubting our salvation. He has washed us and we are whiter than snow - amazing grace!

No comments: