Thursday, February 10, 2005

Suffering, then growth

Suffering and trials are at least as much a part of the Christian life as joy and blessings. Paul says to welcome trials, as they are necessary for spiritual growth. It is a sad reflection on us today that we would often choose comfort and ease over suffering and spiritual instruction! Jesus warns that the way of following Him is the way of taking up our cross, denying the self and serving others. It is strange today that the "prosperity gospel" of the Prayer of Jabez is so popular!

CS Lewis reflects in the "Screwtape Letters" that the events of this world are primarily raw material given to us to shape our spiritual development. If there were no disasters, no illness, no poverty we would have far fewer opportunities to develop communities, compassion and generosity. The Asian Tsunami created much suffering, but also much evidence of compassion and opportunities for people to give.

Being unequally yoked has been both a trial and a blessing. I have had many opportunities to learn lessons and to grow in prayer, humility, generosity and dependence on God. Because of my own brokenness and mistakes I have learned much of sympathy and compassion, in my weakness and need I have learned about God's strength. In my lack of power I have learned about trust in God's power. I only hope I can continue to grow, and perhaps become half as great a prayer warrior as Don H. and some of the ladies in WWAW!

No comments: