Friday, February 25, 2005

Knowing a faithful God

In many ways, faith and trust in God are very freeing. If I have trust in the character of God, I no longer have to worry about all those areas of "theological ignorance" (as CS Lewis calls them) which used to concern me so much. I used to worry if I could trust in the justice and mercy of God to deal with unborn babies and those who have never heard the Gospel. I used to worry about if Creationists would go to hell for telling lies, or Evolutionists for lack of faith in the literal Word. I used to worry about the conflict between doing what God commands, and doing what is morally and ethically right. (OK, I still worry about this last one a bit.)

These days I (try to) trust in the character of God - has He not always dealt with me faithfully and mercifully? Has he not blessed me and taught me, guided me and surrounded me with faithful and godly advisors? Has he not placed me in a church where I can question and grow and where my husband also can feel welcomed?

He always shows me grace beyond what I can deserve or even imagine. I should trust Him more with the fate of others, especially since this is not my concern! When I remind myself that it is a Person in whom I trust, not a system of rules, not a lawbook, not karma or fate, then I remember how gently, how respectfully, how lovingly He has always dealt with me. Then I can relax and rely on our relationship, and know that He will interact with those I love not as they deserve, but according to their deepest needs, which He knows better than I.

They say that the best guide to future behaviour, is past behaviour. God's record speaks for itself, so I should never worry at all! Someone who has kept His promises over thousands of years is more trustworthy than anyone else I know!

No comments: