Sunday, February 13, 2005

Temptation

I think my overwhelming temptation is to anger - I can be a very angry person, but I usually express it in more socially acceptable ways, such as frustration. Somehow it is better to be frustrated or slightly offended (implies a moral superiority) than it is to be simply angry. By anger I would include both the quick kind which says nasty things on the spur of the moment, and the slow kind of anger which smoulders into bitterness and resentment. Not pretty.

Unfortunately, recognizing temptation is not much of a solution. Just knowing that I get angry easily doesn't really help me overcome it, since it just makes me more annoyed to know that on top of everything else I am now sinning as well!

I think the only way to combat temptation to sin, is to fill myself up with other things: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness and self-control. Whatever is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent or praisworthy - think about these things, and then put them into practice!

No comments: