Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Searching for God

It is strange that a little of God makes me want more. When I am really and truly in touch with Him, I never want it to end - why are those times so rare? A little bit of goodness, holiness, patience or virtue both makes me want more and makes me realize how little I have. Maybe goodness is addictive? Maybe God has to "introduce" us to goodness before we can appreciate it? Rather like an "acquired taste".

Interesting to note that the opposite also applies. The more I wallow in cynicism, despair and laziness, the more I want to continue in it. If I ignore a conviction for long enough, it goes away! My heart is so fickle - it is vitally important what I feed it on!

Having experienced the joys of forgiveness (briefly, yesterday) I actually asked God to give me more opportunities to practice forgiveness - then I realized what I was asking for! Opportunities to forgive only come with insults or injury - do I really want more of that? I suppose I do, if that is the price for spiritual growth. Strange - I never thought I'd say that.

No comments: