Thursday, January 18, 2007

Pacifism again...

I am still wondering about pacifism. I think I agree with Richard Hays and Stanley Hauerwas that pacifism and overcoming evil with good is the Christian ideal, but I'm wondering if this can actually work in our fallen world? It might on a personal level, but how about on a social level? If good people do not resist, will not evil triumph?

Hays describes this fear as a lack of trust in God, and maybe it is. But doesn't God use US as his hands and feet in the world? If Christians do not defend the helpless, doesn't that make us part of the problem?

There is also the issue of abrogating responsibility. If we want laws enforced, rights upheld and innocent people protected, shouldn't we take some steps towards doing those things, rather than leaving all the work to others so we don't get our hands dirty? It is all very well to want to live in an orderly, law-abiding society, but how is that compatible with not wanting to be part of the army or police force? That smacks of hypocrisy.

If all Christians leave from the army/police force or whatever insitution we disapprove of, doesn't that just mean it will be entirely run by non-Christians? Is this an improvement?

I think as a social policy, pacifism might have a few bugs in it that need working out...

1 comment:

Phoenix said...

Hi... you responded to a question I had over in LJ land and I felt like wandering over to your LJ page (which, then, led me here). Though I can't offer a Catholic perspective, I thought you may be interested to know (if you don't already) that Gandhi had noted three possible responses to oppression and injustice in our modern world. He described one as the coward's way: to accept the wrong or run away from it. The second option was to stand and fight by force of arms. Informatively, Gandhi said that this was better than acceptance or running away. But the third way, he said, was best of all and required the most courage: to stand and fight solely by nonviolent means.

Anyway... as a student of theology, I thought you may find that of interest.

Thanks again for your LJ advice!