Friday, January 12, 2007

Lord's Prayer - 2

Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
I always thought this line was rather strange, because if God cannot be tempted by evil and we are told that God does not tempt us to do evil, why should we pray for God not to do what He already said He would not do? I have developed a few theories about what this might mean:

1) Since God knows what our weaknesses are, and the areas in which each of us is likely to experience temptation, perhaps this prayer is asking the Lord to protect us from ourselves and to shield us from our own areas of weakness? In this case, the deliver us from evil part would be to deliver us from the fallen sin nature which already exists within us.

2) It might also refer to providing us with an escape route, if we should fall into temptation. The idea that God does not test us to destruction, but always provides a way out.

3) It could also be a prayer for protection against the Evil One, and to avoid the kind of testing through temptation that Job suffered at his hands. This seems the least likely to me, but it is possible, and some translations make it appear that this version would fit, though not mine.

Not sure which is the best understanding, although the first one has its appeal right at the moment. I am still thinking a lot about confession and repentance, and asking the Lord to deliver me from the temptations and evil which I already have within myself would fit this prayer very well right now. As they say, if the cap fits...

As Paul describes, I think we all have our thorn to bear, and we all have our temptations and areas of weakness which are particular to us. I am thinking much more reflectively about this now that I have to bring it to confession - it is a very good spur to thought! Being aware of my own areas of weakness also means that I can see patterns in my life of falling into particular sins, and I hope this awareness will help me to avoid such sins in the future.

Confession is incredibly useful - I can't believe so many traditions seem to have got rid of it! The process of specific reflection, verbal acknowledgement and confession of sins is incredibly powerful, and of course, so is receiving absolution. But the process of confessing to a spiritual guide, in and of itself, is amazingly powerful. The naming of sin out loud is difficult and painful, naturally (and so it should be) but so instructive! It really does shine a bright light into the dark places, and reminds me that no place is too dark for God to enlighten with His forgiveness - praise the Lord!

No comments: