Monday, January 08, 2007

Holiness, is what I long for

I am continuing my "prayer rule" such as it is. So far I have the Lord's prayer and two songs. The new one which I can't get out of my head (reminds me of Paul's injunction to pray continuously) is:

Holiness, Holiness is what I long for.
Holiness, is what I need.
Holiness, Holiness is what you want from me.

So take my heart and form it.
Take my mind, transform it,
Take my will conform it, to yours, to yours, oh Lord.

It seems a little trite written down, but it expresses the urge I feel to not only use this time for "waiting" whatever that means, but to use it for preparation, for purification, for something which will be shown to me, in God's time.

Interestingly, on Sunday we had a session which lead me to think about holiness. The holiness of the OT was about purity and separation, about being set apart and dedicated to serve God and having no other priorities. I crave that "inward holiness".

But also the holiness of Jesus and of the New Testament is an "outward holiness" which translates into acts of justice, healing and mercy. It is a holiness which rebukes legalism and rebukes the burdens which men lay on each other, even to the extent of calling those hypocritical men "snakes and vipers". I need this kind of holiness too.

I can't help wondering if this is the difference between Solace (and the Protestant church in general) having the focus on "outwardly turned holiness" while the traditional and Orthodox churches focus more in "inward holiness". This is a gross generalization, and of course all churches do both to some extent, but still, I wonder...

No comments: