Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Remaking course

Last night was the Remaking course, and once again I have come away with "The Wisdom of Liz". I think the reason I find her insights so helpful is that she is so different from me - everything I would like to be, but am not. She said:
I have failed at many things in my life, but that doesn't matter with God.
I realized that this is so true! Sounds easy, but so many times in life we are judged on the basis of what we do, what we produce, how much we earn, etc. "Performance" is the bottom line nearly all the time, even in the church. When we fail at something, it is not just about failing that one thing, but also about acceptance, status, competence, self-esteem - there are so many issues caught up in one failure! It is reassuring to think that God is the one person who doesn't care. He can (and does) love us just as we are, even before we acknowledged His existance. More Wisdom of Liz to follow, when I find the paper I wrote it on!

No comments: