Monday, July 04, 2005

The Good Samaritan

On Sunday we did this parable again - I always find it hard to think about the Good Samaritan. I guess I don't really understand the point of it - it seems to set such an unreasonable standard. There is no way I can even meet the needs of those of my immediate acquaintance and family, let alone beggars and strangers on the street!

We had a lot of discussion about beggars, but didn't really come to any conclusions. I think this is an issue that everyone struggles with - is it about money? Are they genuine? Are they drug users? Should we give food? Is that patronizing? What about homelessness? What about mental health? What about offering a job instead? What about pregnant women?

I still don't know what to think about it all, but I will admit to becoming more cynical about this issue. Every time I walk into the city, I am approached for money (I obviously look like a soft touch). I used to give something to everyone, but then I have seen them spending it on (to my mind) frivolous things. Then for a while I gave food, but then I saw some of them taking it and throwing it away, and I have heard that food is often not the main issue anyway.

So should I go back to giving money? What about drugs and alcoholism? What about the guy in the park or the one who lives in the bus stop across the street? He is clearly homeless, but spends all his money on booze (usually white wine) - do I want to support that? I don't know - somehow it seems like an unsatisfactory cop-out to give them a $2 coin and forget about it, but I really don't know what else to do?

No comments: