Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Getting back to basics

Read this while surfing today at http://www.signposts.org.au/
The persecuted church strips its faith to a simplicity of Jesus is my Lord and Saviour and I cling to Him. This was true for the early church and for the current church in China and some other places. How do we in the Western world strip down to the simple power of “Jesus is my Lord and Saviour and I cling to Him”?
Interesting point. I think the Orthodox would have a lot to say about this. We are the "Protest-ant" church have a lot of experience in nit-picking each other and protesting against when we see others have got it wrong. We split off according to convictions of one sort or another, and redefine each other out of the faith. I read another quote (I think Brian McLaren again) along the lines of "If the Bible does not yield its best to someone looking for a verse to beat his brother over the head with, then we have done a lot of people a disservice."

If only we could strip back the complex garments of our faith system and theology and get back to the basics of faith underneath. If only we could look past the differences of those dressed in different faith garments and see the same faith beating underneath - Jesus is my Lord and Saviour and I cling to Him.

No comments: