Friday, July 08, 2005

Christians and work

Once again it has come to my attention at work that the thing we Christians are famous for, is not being willing to work Sundays. This is our defining feature, this is what we are known for? There is something seriously wrong here.

I remember a while ago St Hil's was talking about becoming a church which was known for its ability to pray. The Quakers were famous for keeping their word without oaths, promises or contracts (or was it the Shakers?). The Amish were famous for their dedication to living God's way as they understood it. We are famous for - wait for it - refusing to help out when asked. :(

I am reluctant to take this up with the person concerned, partly because I feel it will be viewed as whinging on my part, but also because I know it will look self-interested and interfering. If she refuses to work extra days, who has to do them? So I am hardly disinterested in this conversation. And, yet, as an "older" Christian, I wonder, do I have a duty to mention something? It sounds so condescending, and I don't think she'll listen, but does that absolve me of the duty to try? Or is it none of my business anyway? As long as I can say "no" when she asks me to work all her Sundays, should I even try to stop her asking others? So far I have not, but I still feel a vague sense that I should...

No comments: