Friday, June 23, 2006

New church, time for new growth

I went and tried out the local church (one of three) which is across the road. I feel a bit silly in some ways to be driving over half an hour to get to a church when there is one right across the road! On the other hand, that assumes that all churches are the same, which is definitely not true, and that relationships can just be interchanged, also not true.

This local church is quite small - about twenty people, half teenagers and young adults the rest adults some with babies. It seems a fairly dynamic, contemporary kind of place. The teaching appears to be systematic Bible teaching which is currently working through Romans (my personal favourite) and this seems to bode well for a mid-week Bible study group - something I have really missed since coming back from Ballarat.

Thinking about priorities: thesis and work have consumed me for the last six months. I haven't had the time or energy to grow in any other ways. I think the time has come to make some room to grow in the ways which really count - growing in knowledge and wisdom of God, and in self control! I think I have grown more short-tempered and impatient recently, which is not a good change. I need to take back responsibility for my own spiritual growth and get back to Bible study and prayer as a regular discipline. The fact that I can't even find my Bible says something, I think!

No comments: