Friday, June 30, 2006

Is Solace a dinner party or a concert?

An interesting post from Ian today about the nature of Solace:
We don’t go to Solace, we are Solace. Our decisions about whether we choose to attend things and how we interact with each other when we do will make Solace what it is, or is not to become. What ever we want Solace to be is what we have to become in order to participate in making it happen.


Very interesting! What do I express each time I go to gather at Solace? What do I bring? What do I expect? Am I what I would like to receive there?

The other aspect Ian discusses very well is what we think Solace is. If Solace is a concert, then we are the audience and not participants or performers. If Solace is a dinner party then we are equal participants. I think of Solace as a book club - a purposeful gathering of individuals to learn and nurture a common interest and a common goal.

Ian is also correct in that how we see Solace will influence how we interact with each other and how we regard our attendance. As a concert, our attendance or not is our own loss or gain with no impact on others. As a dinner party or book club, attendance will influence the experience of others also attending, our contribution (or not) will affect others in very essential ways.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Elizabby, I'm so delighted to see you've resumed blogging. I always enjoy reading what you have to say, both here and on chfweb. You regularly provoke me to thought and examination. Thanks! Barbara K

Anonymous said...

Oops. I forgot to tell you that I've added your blog to my blogroll...hope that's okay with you. Barbara K