Monday, February 27, 2006

Homosexuality - a barometer for orthodoxy

This is not an original observation (kudos to Vicki L!) but I think it is very true. I have previously pondered why homosexuality seems to be such a hot topic lately and one which polarizes Christians so completely. Often, a person's stance on this topic alone is enough to label him/her "liberal" or "conservative" in the eyes of others. Maybe homosexuality is to this generation what Creationism/Evolutionism was to the one before us. (I have also seen this issue used as a barometer of how people handle the Bible.)

Vicky also pointed out that this issue (like many others) is one with faithful, Spirit-filled, Bible-believing, godly Christians on both sides. Given that this is such an area of contention and uncertainty, should we not give as much grace as possible?

This response to RLP's post summed it up for me:
If I stand before God and God says, "why did you let so many people into the church?" I live with that judgment. For God to say, "Why did you keep closing the door when I was pushing it open?" is something I could not live with.

No comments: