Saturday, May 07, 2005

Margaret River

We have been driving around the Margaret River area, and I can see why this is the first place everyone mentions when I said we were coming to WA. It is beautiful, fertile, full of wineries and little cottage industries like cheese, lavendar, mead, olive oil and landscape photography. I think if I lived here I would be a landscape photographer too!

Yesterday we were driving to the last winery we wanted to see, and we came over the hill and looked down over the vines as the sun was setting. The evening rays were just slanting down through the clouds to highlight the vines, and there were grapes as far as I could see. I was struck once again at God's extravagant abundance, poured out for us so generously that not only do we have more than we need to eat, but we can spend it frivolously making boutique wines and other inefficient but enjoyable food products.

I also realized how much the abundance of the earth is in God's hands. Seems strange not to have thought much about this before. I think all the talk of droughts and weather brings it closer to my mind - I can see why country people feel closer to God than do city people who work in heated buildings and don't have to think about the weather.

The growers sow and water, but if God doesn't make the harvest grow or send suitable weather, then all their labour is in vain. No-one but God can make the harvest happen. The parallel with evangelism is obvious, so why do I keep going over and over the same ground in the hope that more ploughing will produce more fruit??

No comments: