Saturday, January 29, 2005

Homosexuality - an issue for our age?

I wonder if homosexuality will in future be seen as an old-fashioned issue, much as living together before marriage is today? Some people will have convictions about it, but that will not bother society at large, and it will not be seen as a reason to exclude someone from the congregation nor to question their faith. The homophobia of our age will perhaps become like the witch-hunts of the past – something people did with the best of intentions, but we know better today and would not repeat their mistakes. I hope that grace will so permeate the church that homophobia will become like racism - unthinkable within the church, and something which Christians will feel bound to fight wherever it occurs.

I feel that sexuality is not truly the heart of Christianity, and will eventually take up the marginal position it deserves (in terms of major theological issues). Of course, how we live is integral to our faith and sexuality is a part of that, but homosexuality should not in my opinion be ranked as a faith issue alongside the divinity of Christ. Rather, it should take up a secondary position on which Christians of good conscience can agree to disagree, more like the creation/evolution debate which is hot and passionate for some.

In the future as family stability continues to erode it would not surprise me at all if homosexuality as an issue were to fade away, to be replaced with an increased emphasis on adultery. As the gay lobby correctly points out, adultery is far more socially destabilizing and damaging to the family, especially children. If there is to be a sexual sin for which people are called to account in their church community (not that I think this is ideal either) I would vote for adultery over homosexuality every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

As for homosexuality itself, I am glad this is not an issue with which I have to contend personally – I have quite enough issues of my own! Everyone has his/her own issues to bear, and I have no intention of commenting on that which does not concern me - that would be gossip which is also a sin. When too much free exchange of opinion occurs between people who are not personally involved in an issue, surely that is gossip and food for temptation into pride and voyeurism? Watching and commenting on other people's sins can be as interesting as committing them oneself, without any risk of adverse consequences. Unfortunately the consequences to the mind and heart are often not factored in, and if I indulge in my taste for gossip I am tempted away from charity and prayer and into mere speculation or worse.

As it is, I hear Jesus saying to me “What is that to you? You follow me.”

No comments: