Sunday, December 03, 2006

Visiting the Orthodox in their own habitat... (pt 2)

So I went to the Antiochian Orthodox service. It was strange. The music and chanting which sets my teeth on edge in the Greek churches is exactly the same in English, only weirder because the syllables have to be stretched to fit the chants. The music is horrible and apparently hasn't changed for over a thousand years. It could do with a change, in my opinion.

Some of the prayers were great, though. Really well-thought and sincerely written. I think I like John Chrysostom. Some of it was very familiar from the Anglican service as well, presumably the good old C of E "lifted" quite a bit of it from the Orthodox, I assume. It doesn't matter - it is all good stuff.

I was a bit shocked by the whole communion thing. I didn't take it of course, not being Orthodox, but the bread is crumbled into the wine and then the whole shebang given to parishoners on a spoon. The same spoon which goes into everyone else's mouth! I saw a mother rushing up with her baby to be first in line, and I don't blame her at all. I bet people with colds don't wait until last either! I don't think I would have wanted communion, even if I were eligible.

After the service, the priest recognized me immediately (probably the only visitor) and introduced me to a few people. Of course, the first thing they all asked me was "Why are you here?". Unfortunately, I didn't get to meet any women at all. I felt a little uncomfortable just talking to some of the men.

So overall, pretty much what I had expected from attending Easter services over the last ten or so years. Will I visit again? Probably. Will I become Orthodox? Unlikely.

No comments: