Monday, October 03, 2005

My play

My play has been selected to be a finalist in the Booroondara Playwright Competition 2005! Out of all the plays submitted, mine is in the top three and is going to be staged in December! I can't believe it! My scribblings, my thoughts and feelings, my words are going to be acted out by people on stage - I am apprehensive and excited all at once. It doesn't really matter if I win or not - I've won already by getting this far with my first script!

Funny coincidence - I put in my biography that I was inspired to write a play after seeing Helen perform in the finalist plays last year. Helen put in her bio that she auditioned because I wrote a play! Strangely, she will be starring in my play as one of the leading characters. It will be so weird to hear her saying lines I have written.

I hope no-one is offended or upset, but I would like to make people think. I mean, homosexuality in the church is a pretty "hot" topic, so I suppose anything I say is going to be controversial, but I really hope the actors don't turn my characters into caricatures. Every point of view presented by the seven characters is one I believe in and know people who hold them in all seriousness. The point I really wanted to make is that all POV are valid and there is something to be said for them, and I wanted to say it!

No comments: