Wednesday, April 20, 2005

What is freedom?

Still more on “Remaking”: what is freedom? Is freedom the same as autonomy? Does freedom mean that now we can do what we like? Clearly not: the Bible warns that we can lose our freedom and make ourselves slaves again. In the discussion of autonomy in ethics, there is the discussion about addiction and how it destroys autonomy. So there are acts of freedom which destroy freedom, and clearly we can sell ourselves into slavery in our minds, if not in law. JS Mill would not have approved!

Freedom is the freedom to choose: to turn away or to turn towards. Interestingly, freedom puts a whole new spin on the slavery thing. If I place myself under the law of “shoulds” then I kill my own freedom. (Of course self-discipline is a good and necessary thing and I’m a big fan, but leaving that aside and doing a thought experiment for a moment.)

Rather than the law of “should” as in: I should read my Bible, I should go to church, I should give money to the church, I should control my tongue, etc, etc. How about turning it around and looking at it as an invitation in freedom? Now I get: You are free to read the Bible, you are free to go to church, you are free to contribute to the church, you are free to choose how you speak. Instantly all these things seem more attractive! I really do like church, I really do want to know God’s Will, I really do want to support Olivia and to reach out and minister to others, I really do want to speak truthfully, kindly and lovingly to people all the time even (especially?) when I don’t feel like it. I really do want all those things, but somehow I let myself get bound up in performance pressure and I forgot that I want these things simply for what they are.

I need to try to remember this!

No comments: