Monday, April 11, 2005

An interesting quote emailed to me yesterday:
We do not segment our lives, giving some time to God, some to our business or schooling, while keeping parts to ourselves. The idea is to live all of our lives in the presence of God, under the authority of God, and for the honor and glory of God. That is what the Christian life is all about. (R. C. Sproul)
This is what I would like to be, and what I imagine the truly holy life is like in the "incarnational" tradition. This is also what I find incredibly difficult - it seems I surrender one portion of my life, only to realize that another is terribly lacking - a bit like painting the Sydney Harbour Bridge, I no sooner finish and I am due to start again somewhere else!

How often do I sit down to think about some "private time" or time set aside for God, only to get grumpy and out of sorts because I am called to do something else? If only I could realize that ALL "my" time is God's time, to use or lay aside as He chooses. (Being used is one thing, being laid aside something even more challenging!)

Yesterday, I agreed to work for Rachel so that she could minister at her church. Fair enough. So why then, when the work was busy, did I feel cheated? Like I somehow expected the work to be easier because I volunteered for it? I have been in the business long enough to know that the work comes as it will and not as we would have it! At the end of the day I was tired (fair enough) but why resentful as well? Why cross because Rachel had a good day? That was the reason I worked - I should have been glad!

Obviously I still have some work to do in the area of giving cheerfully...

1 comment:

Barb Totterdell said...

hey mate, just wanted to let you know that I have been reading this and enjoying ... and enjoying continuing to get to know you more thru it. (you've been "bloglined" for a while so I get to see whenever you do an update!)