Thursday, November 29, 2007

Last day before becoming a mother...

I have now been sitting in hospital for a week without going into spontaneous labour - looks like I am one of that 20% minority. It has been a difficult time - sitting around worrying mostly. There has been so much that I feel I should have done before the baby comes, yet I am stuck in hospital and can't do any of it. Not to mention the worries about having a prem baby, and worries about the labour.

Still, I am learning once again to count my blessings. There are four of us in this room who have not had our babies yet. Opposite me is a girl who came in with a bleed after a fall. She cried all night with fear for what this might mean for her child. Next to her is another woman with a bleed at 30 weeks. she will be in hospital until she has her baby, which means right through Christmas and New Year, unless of course she has a big bleed and ends up with a C-section. Next to me was a woman with ruptured membranes at 28 weeks who went into labour at 32 weeks and had to be sectioned. Then there's me with ruptured membranes at 34 weeks, now up to 35 weeks with a healthy baby and due for induction tomorrow, with every chance of having a normal delivery - I'm definitely the lucky one!

One of the other benefits of this "spare" time before the baby is born, is that Dean and I have had a chance to work on our birthing techniques. The antenatal class involved lessons on breathing, positive thinking, coping with stress and focusing. There is also a really good sheet of positive affirmations for mother and baby. Like any other skill, NLP takes practice, which this week has given us - some of it has been a really special time with just the two of us concentrating on our soon-to-be-born baby.

With the induction tomorrow, I got day leave today to go and enjoy my last day of freedom before becoming repsonsible for another little person. I indulged in one of my little luxuries - I went for a pedicure. I can do it myself, but with the big tummy, why stress myself out? Then we went to lunch for Elina's birthday at Jaques Raymond, which was very fancy. I guess this might be the last long and leisurely adult lunch with wine and conversation for a while!

It is funny to think about all the things I will be giving up for a while - movies, late nights out, restaurants without kids, etc. Then I think that I've had a long time to enjoy those thngs already. I'm ready to give those up and to enjoy being a mother and having a baby. This baby has been a long time coming, and I can't wait to meet our baby tomorrow!

No comments: