Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Being a patient again...

After three years of trying, we have finally admitted that we are not going to be able to get pregnant on our own and gone to the fertility doctor. I didn't realize how sad I would feel about this - I've always been healthy and at least averagely fit. I never thought this would happen to me.

I remembered all over again how hard it is to be a patient - to have something wrong with you that you can't control and that other people are going to take control of and do "to" your body. I suppose this is a good experience for a doctor.

I am going for blood tests next week, then the plan is for 3 months of clomiphene (Clomid) which is the hormone to regulate all the other hormones - the mother of all hormones? If that doesn't work, then exploratory surgery to "go looking" for endometriosis, have a close look at the septum, flush out the fallopian tubes and generally see what is what. If that doesn't work, in six months we will be talking about trying IVF - still don't know if we want to go there.

It is particularly hard because in paediatric medicine, I'm sure not a week goes by that someone doesn't ask me "So, any kids of your own yet?" and when I say no they respond with "Well, you're not getting any younger." I KNOW, I KNOW! I found my first grey hair on the Greece trip, which just adds to the biological impact of all those accumulating birthdays.

Actually, the fertility doctor said "Oh, you're not at the stage yet where your age impacts too much. At 32, your IVF chances are still around 50%" - so at least ONE person doesn't think I'm too old!

The first task for us, even before my blood tests, is for Dean to give a sperm sample for analysis - I wonder if he will want me to help him with that?

2 comments:

Kate M said...

Still continuing to pray for you in this area...for God's BEST for you and Dean!!

Love, Kate

Anonymous said...

Hello!

I am Vineyard_woman from the Menstrual_cup forum.

I read over there about your desire to get pregnant, and you being healthy, but your husbands sperm being slow to move.

I just want to share with you a product called PRE-SEED I do not sell it! So I have nothing to gain from it! If you choose to try it, you can buy it directly from the company or from one of the pharmacies that carry it.

Well, my friends and I live kind of far away from the city. One of them heard about PRE-SEED, which is a lubricant that unlike all other lubricants, actually helps sperm and the spematozoa to move faster and stronger. They had only heard good things about it, people getting pregnant within 3 months of adding it to their trying to conceive routine.

So, as I said before, we live far away from the stores, so when one of us goes to city, we all each other to see if need something. So, both of them had been trying to conceive for a long time, so when one of them went to the city and said she was going to buy PRE-SEED the other one asked her to buy a package for her too.

BUt when she got to the store, there was only one package left. She was very disapointed, and told the pharmacist about it, the pharmacist said that she wouldn't need a second package. She said that she wanted another package for her neighbor, as going to the city was a problem. THe pharmacist said: Look, there are 6 vials in a package. Just give 3 to your friend, and come back next month, and get another package, but I am pretty sure you won't need it.

And she got pregnant the first month trying it! My other friend got pregnant the second month with it.

I am pretty confident this could help someone like you, that is healthy but her husbands sperm doesn't have the motility it takes to achieve pregnancy.

Good luck!

My email address is ariannatemple at hughes dot net