Saturday, March 04, 2006

Deuteronomy 8

A strong rebuke for the self made man today:
You may say to yourself, "My power and the strength of my hands have produced this wealth for me." But remember the LORD your God, for it is he who gives you the ability to produce wealth. (Deut 8:17,18)
These days is more about intelligence, entrepreneurship and opportunism, but these is still the same strong flavour of those who work hard deserve to do well, and those who are just slacking off are also getting what they deserve. Dole Bludgers is another common term with the same implications.

I wonder if in our rich society people are more self-sufficient and therefore despise those who are not. If I have worked and made all my own money, why does God deserve any of it? I wonder if this is one of the reasons why it is harder for the rich man to get to heaven? Perhaps those who are rich don't feel the need for God and don't give God any credit.

CS Lewis was right again - God whispers to us in our pleasures but shouts to us in our pains. It is so easy to ignore God when things are going well. Thanking God for our blessings is not just for His benefit.

No comments: