Sunday, September 04, 2005

Living with a Mezuzah

Well, here we are in Ballarat. We are in a small (but newly renovated) flat in the middle of the car park. I think the flats used to be on the other side of the car park from the hospital, but the car park has been extended around them so that we are surrounded on all sides by cars.

Whoever lived here at some stage before us was Jewish, and installed a mezuzah on the door frame of the bedroom door. I was prompted to do some reading about mezuzahs and what they are and what they are for, and why they are on that funny angle. It seems to me that more than anything they are a reminder that God is there - touching them while walking in and out of the doorway is a reminder that God sees our every going in and out, and watches everything which passes the threshold. I decided that I could use our mezuzah as a reminder of God's presence in my life (I hope this does not seem sacreligious to anyone).

So I have been touching the mezuzah every time I walk in or out of our bedroom, and it really does have an effect. God seems closer, more involved in my life and I think about or to Him several times a day - not really prayers, nothing so formed as that, but just acknowledging the presence of God. Somehow, it seems more like He cares about my everyday life, though I think it is mostly an awareness effect in me - I'm more aware of God, rather than Him being more present. Interesting, and I think I'll keep doing it.

No comments: